As we enter into 2015 there are a few things that we need to be doing to get the year off to a good start you’re anything like me, you took careful notes on what to do and what not to do in the future. Getting your new year off to a banging start here’s the TOP 5 things you need to do to get 2015 Started off RIGHT!
- Evaluate what went right and what went wrong. We are not perfect and sometimes after we do something we realize that it was not the best course of action for us to take. It’s never too late to make things right and change your course.
- Take some time and call each of your clients personally. A lot of times we are so busy and used to using email that we forget to provide a personal touch to our services. Schedule a time to call your clients and find out what is going on with them. See if there is anything else that they would like for you to assist them with. Sometimes your clients need more help than they let on and it’s either because they are unsure you can handle the work or they just feel like they have given you too much to do already. Assure them that you can handle their needs, even if you must get a subcontractor to take care of it for you.
- Clean your computer. Get an external hard drive and or cloud storage like Google Drive or Drop box and save your files so that you can remove any files that you are not currently using from your computer. In all honesty you should be doing this anyway to back up your files just in case your computer crashes. There are several cloud backup systems that you could use like Carbonite & Symform. Regularly backing up your system keeps your documents safe. Every 6 months I go through my documents and remove them from my hard drive if I am no longer using them to free up the memory on my computer. I have my documents backed up on Google Drive, and Symform so that I have 3 copies of everything. This weekend I will be purchasing an external hard drive just so that I can have something outside of the cloud as another back up to have an additional access point if needed.
- Time to do your end of year close out! Pull out all of your receipts and review your financials. This is a good time to get everything prepared for your Accountant/tax preparer. I also suggest that you make copies of all of your receipts as you get them. Scan them onto your computer in a folder labeled receipts for the current year. This will ensure that you have accurate records.
- It’s the New Year, so people are looking for assistance and getting their businesses in order. This is the prime time to start reaching out to potential clients that you made contact with last year. Give them a call; see how things are going with them. Don’t try to sell them, just put that little bug in their ear to remind them that you are around and available if they ever need you. No need to be pushy. You will be surprised at how many people will end up calling you back and/or referring someone else to you based off of your non-sales pitch follow-up call.
By taking these five (5) steps you are off to a good start and ready to handle whatever comes your way! I hope you found this beneficial. I would love to hear what you have to add to the list. Your comments are appreciated.
Wishing you a fantastic and prosperous 2015!